Monday, November 30, 2015

Kirsten and Allie's Articles

What I found really interesting about Kirsten's article was one point they made about calming down when feeling nervous, how are you supposed to do that? Anxiety is an issue that a lot of people struggle with and I think that we as a whole are lacking the tools to teach and cope with anxiety. "Calming down" is easy enough to say, but when you think about the meaning behind it, it is difficult to achieve. I think this article really shows the need for emotional literacy and by teaching it to children it will definitely create a space for thinking about tough issues in a new way. Things can be looked at through a more emotional lens without the consequence and taint of taboo like today.

I really enjoyed the links Allie included. I have a little brother and a dad who isn't afraid to admit that he likes Hello Kitty. "I think she's cute" he always says. When we were little me and my sister used to dress my brother up, do his hair and makeup and then take pictures of him after. He had long curly hair that was the softest thing I ever felt. After we cut it it became course and thick. Now he must be a boy. He has to keep up with those stereotypical ideas of masculinity and they are so often challenged that it's almost like walking on eggshells. Now that he's a teenager, those ideas are even more influential, but I think my dad is a strong enough role model for my brother to at least stand firm on his policy of no bug squishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment