Monday, September 21, 2015

Uncomfortable

Church on Sundays was mandatory when I was younger. My mother would wake me up and I'd pretend to fall back asleep. Soon enough she'd pull me out of bed and I would complain, whine, and try to make a deal with her. I'd go next week, I'd be good all week, just don't make me go. She never budged and I always found myself sitting beside her in the pew as the church sang around me.

I remember vividly one morning close to the end of the service. It was before my communion so instead of going up and receiving the Eucharist, I followed my mother with my arms crossed over my chest. I stepped up to the Priest, looking up at him as he leaned over and put a hand on my head.

"Do you accept the body of Christ?" he asked.

I thought for a moment, his words rolling around in my head. My mother stood beside me, still chewing. A moment of panic rushed through me. I didn't know the answer. I looked up at the priest and shook my head.

"No."

My mother leaned in quickly, before he could even take a breath. "She means yes."

The priest chuckled and we moved on, following the line in front of us neatly back to our pew.

Thinking back, I was more uncomfortable with my mother making me change my answer. I was in church, a place where I was expected to act in a certain way, and lying was not included. In the Sundays after that, I was better able to navigate my way through each service, knowing exactly when to leave so for the bathroom so I would miss the point when we were expected to shake hands with the people around me. But the incident has always stuck in my mind and I think it is because I was asked to make a choice in church, and my choice was not accepted. Granted, I was a kid and didn't really know anything about what I was doing or sawing, but my opinion was still ignored.

I think this affected me in other ways in church as well. I struggled with my mother for several more years before she finally gave up and left me home on Sunday mornings, but I was still ingrained with the rules. Whenever I stay with my grandparents, we must go to church. We must dress nice and following along with each song. We must accept the body of Christ and say 'amen'.

No comments:

Post a Comment